|Dear Fellow SC Baptists:
Allow me to introduce myself: I am Mike Wallace, Associate DOM for the York Baptist Association in York County, SC. I am acting as coordinator on behalf of our association and SC Baptist Disaster Relief (SCBDR) for disaster response to the Bahamas post-Hurricane Dorian. SCBDR has been asked to assist Caravel Zion Baptist Church in Freeport, Bahamas to recover from this storm. The church has suffered damage and needs our help.
I have been in contact with Rev Mack Duncanson, pastor of Caravel Zion Baptist Church, about their needs. Their entire 5,000 square foot building had four feet of water in it from the storm surge. Our task will be to help restore their building and then assist neighbors in the community around the church.
Work on the church building will start with removal of all damaged material, followed by mold remediation. Major aspects of rebuilding will include hanging sheetrock and assisting with electrical repairs to restore power.
Mission teams will be needed on a regular basis to carry on this work. Disaster Relief training is NOT required of volunteers since the focus will be on construction. Any other necessary training will be provided on site.
· Lodging will be in a nearby church, sleeping on air mattresses.
· Teams will bring their own cooks to prepare meals in the church kitchen.
· Estimated cost for travel/staying/eating in the church: approximately $650 per person
· Hotel lodging can be arranged if needed for an additional cost of $117 per night for up to 3 per room.
· A passport is necessary for travel to the Bahamas.
The following items are needed to replace what was damaged in the church. If you or your church can help with this, please let me know.
· Used sound system
· Electronic piano keyboard
· 7000-10,000-watt generator
· Kitchen appliances
· Office furniture
Pray – Please pray for the Bahamas and pray about how your church can be involved in helping.
Go – Consider organizing a team from your church or joining another team to assist in Bahamas recovery. Dates for the first organized trips will be published very soon on the SC Baptist Convention Disaster Relief web page (www.scbaptist.org/dr).
Give – Donations are welcomed! Because all materials must be purchased and shipped to the island, a substantial amount of money will be needed for this project. Contributions can be made online or by check. All donations will provide materials and supplies needed for recovery efforts for the church and its surrounding neighborhood.
· For online giving, by individuals or churches – Click HERE.
· Very soon there will be an option provided for donating on the website of the York Baptist Association as well, at www.yorkbaptists.church.
· To give by check: Make checks payable to South Carolina Baptist Convention, note “Hurricane Dorian” in the memo line, and mail to: South Carolina Baptist Convention, PO Box 212999, Columbia, SC 29221
Please join me in praying, giving, and going to the Bahamas. If you have any questions feel free to call me, Mike Wallace, at 803-327-6144.
Rev. Mike Wallace
York Baptist Association